Protecting your home – Buildings & Contents Insurance

Your property is greater than the sum of its parts. It’s a home. Unfortunately life has a habit of producing occasional unwelcome surprises and for this reason it makes sense to provide cover for all possibilities.

The difference between buildings and contents insurance is relatively simple. Buildings insurance covers all the non-moveable parts of your home such as the walls, roof, fixtures, fittings and essential bricks and mortar. If you own your property you’ll have to get buildings insurance by law, and this protects your home from fire, flood or other “acts of God”.

Contents insurance covers all the loose, removable parts of your property such as televisions, jewellery, laptops, dishwashers, furniture and anything else of value that can be stolen or destroyed in a fire or flood. Unlike buildings insurance it isn’t compulsory to have contents insurance, but the majority of homeowners prefer the peace of mind it provides.

Speak to an advisor

Why not arrange an informal chat with one of our advisors today?

Our qualified independent advisors can give you a call or pay a home visit to discuss your mortgage or protection needs.

Protecting your home

Buildings insurance

This covers costs associated with the repair of damage to your home’s structure, or to any fixtures and fittings. This will typically include any destruction caused by nature – such as floods, storms and fire and even subsidence. But it also covers man-made damage such as theft or vandalism. Buildings insurance will not cover wear and tear, frost damage, damage cause by animals or indeed any type of damage if your home has been left empty for a significant period (varies according to policy, but usually 30 or 60 days). Your insurance may even cover accommodation costs should you have to move out during repairs.

Contents insurance

Nothing can mitigate the distress caused by discovering you’ve lost your treasured possessions to fire, flood or burglary. But contents insurance can at least provide you with the reassurance that you won’t have to worry about breaking the bank to replace many of those essential items. General wear and tear isn’t covered, neither is accidental damage (unless specifically included), or any items lost or stolen outside of your property (you’ll need personal possessions cover for this).


Woodhall made the whole process so easy; no hassle, no stress and most importantly they didn't pressure you in to anything. Chris and Luke really have your best interests at heart, ensuring you have all the information you require as well as the best deals. It also helped that they were readily contactable at all times,

Mr J Taylor